Egg Vocabulary – 7 words associated with eggs
eggshell (noun): the thin, hard, outer layer of an egg.
Example sentence with eggshell:
- I peeled the eggshell from the hard-boiled egg.
yolk (noun): the round yellow part in the middle of an egg.
Example sentence with yolk:
- I like my eggs lightly cooked so that the yolk is still runny.
(Notice how the L is silent in the word yolk)
egg white (noun): the clear liquid of an egg. When it is cooked, it turns white.
Example sentence with egg white:
- Meringue is a sweet ingredient made from whipped egg white and sugar.
hard-boiled (adjective): to boil an egg until the egg white and the yolk become solid.
Example sentence with hard-boiled:
- I made some hard-boiled eggs for our picnic.
scrambled egg(s) (noun): a dish prepared by mixing the white and yellow parts of an egg together while heating them.
Example sentence with scrambled eggs:
- I usually have scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast on Sundays.
dozen (noun): a group or set of twelve of the same thing
Example sentence with dozen:
- I bought a dozen eggs when I was at the supermarket.
- He bought a dozen roses for his wife.
free-range (adjective): a system of farming in which animals are kept in natural conditions and can move around freely. They are not in cages.
Example sentence with free-range:
- I bought a tray of free-range eggs from the farmer.