List of Shoes and Boots in English
The following is a list of common types of shoes and boots in English.
For the pronunciation of each type of shoe or boot and what style they are, please see the video above.
- ballet shoes
- cowboy boots
- flip flops / thongs In New Zealand they are called jandals.
- football boots / soccer boots
- high heels Sometimes they are called high-heeled shoes or just heels.
- hiking boots
- knee-high boots
- platform shoes: There are also called platform boots
- rubber boots / Wellington boots: These are also known as Wellingtons or Wellies for short. In some countries they are called gumboots.
- sneakers / trainers: sneakers (American English) – trainers (British English). Some other names for this type of shoe include runners, running shoes, and tennis shoes.
- wedges / wedge shoes
For a list of shoes and boots (with a written definition of each one), visit our article on our English vocabulary website: Shoes and Boots in English.
Question for you
What type of shoe are you wearing right now?